Monday, December 23, 2013

Things I Decided Not to Sell.....

One of the challenging things about the vintage/thrift biz is having to part with the merchandise. There are times I passionately debate with myself whether to keep or list. Realistically, if I kept everything I wanted to....well, you would be watching me on that "Hoarders" show. Besides, its part of the business, and I only hope that my buyers love and appreciate their purchase from me. It would be much tougher for me if I were a kitten reseller, I'd keep them all. Then you would definitely see me on "Hoarders".
 
 
Regardless, there are some things that I have decided to keep. Usually it is my children that have decided to keep the said item. Future hoarders?
 
 
 
This Power Puff Girls sheet didn't make it to be listed. Its actually not a sheet, but a former sheet that was made into a rod-pocket curtain panel for a girls room. Well, my daughter Avery who loves the Power Puff girls, decided that it WAS a sheet and she was keeping it. It was only $1.00 at a Storage unit thrift store, I couldn't say no.....
 
 
Owl cookie jar!
 
 
I loved this item and I did have it listed for almost a year. It was quite popular for people to view, but not purchase (even dirt cheap!) Know why? Because there is a teeny tiny chip on the graduation cap. See it? I didn't think so. Because it is teeny tiny! Instead of marking it down or practically giving it away, I decided to give it a loving home here with me. The minuscule chip doesn't bother me. No ones perfect anyways...
 
 
....And these cool mid century canisters.....
 
 
Nothing is wrong with them. I was washing them and getting them cleaned and prepared to take pics and list them, but then they just kind of stayed there in my kitchen. And they haven't moved since.
 
 
Games!
 
 
Sometimes my kids and I play some of the games before I list and sell them. If we really like the game, we keep it. We have kept quite a few, these are just some.
 
As far as "keeping stuff" my son, Evan is the worst!
 
 
First of all ANYTHING Garfield is a keeper. Homer is hanging out with the cats...Because, he keeps the Simpsons stuff too!
 
Also anything skulls he will insist we keep:



This skull necklace was in a box with a bunch of biker castoffs at that storage unit thrift store. My son also finagled me into buying the two gigantic rhinestone skull belt buckles and a skull key chain. I think I paid about $1.50 for everything.
 
 
Then he decided to start collecting these:
 
 
Old crappy Furbies. The white one only says 2 or 3 things and that's it. No dancing, no personality changes, just "night night" and "I love you" and "Hungry! Hungry!" and once you feed him he will say "tummy ache". That's it. And look how mangy and dirty he is!  The courtyard jester Furby doesn't even work. So that blank glaze is all you will get from him.



Now for my indie business of the week!
 
 
Artsy urban meeting place for friends, music and fun!
 
Located in Ybor's Historical cigar district.
 
Flea market/art gallery/events/fresh market...and so much more!
 
 
Not only is Stained Market a local and independent business, but it is owned and operated by women! All the more reason to support them.
 
Maria and Joy are two of the nicest people ever and they do a great job supporting local artists, musicians and the community.
 
Their store is filled with a plethora of unique and ever changing finds.
 
 
They also have a lot of events there, Yoga, Spanish classes, crazy ass face painting, art shows...just an insane variety of coolness!
 
When I mentioned "face painting" I wasn't talking about little girls with butterflies on their cheeks:
 
 

 

 
 
Always supporting the local artists!
 
 
And you know I love an independent business that is run by women and supports the arts! That's a trifecta of amazingness!
Go and check it out, because you never know what you may find, and whatever it is, you can guarantee its not something you will find at Walmart and the other big box stores.
 
 
Is there anything that you decided to keep? A lot? A little? We are all guilty of it, some more than others. Maybe you are more disciplined.....But I bet you have kept at least one thing, haven't you?
 


10 comments:

  1. omg!!! Evan is so going to be a hoarder!
    I think that white Furby might be Winter's spirit animal.
    That owl cookie jar is so sweet--fill it up with GS cookies.
    Stained Market!!!!!!!!!! The best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Stained Market! Love that place... I love all things Asian so I've kept way more lacquered boxes and geisha dolls and waxed paper parasols and wall panels and ginger jars and saki cups and jade bits and embroidered hankies than any sane person should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids keep breaking crap though, so I've come to the point that I'm selling things just to save them from an ugly fate!

      Delete
    2. We all have a little hoarder in us, I suppose....

      Delete
  3. Stained Market is always a joy to visit. The intriguing items are so creatively displayed, and I enjoy being a part of their events. I wish them much success in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no way they could fail, they are chock full of awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stained Market is an amazing place! Joy & Maria are passionate about what they do and are working extremely hard to transform that old, abandoned building into a "must see" kind of place. I haven't been by in quite a while but I can't wait to stop by again because there have been fabulous things taking place. You must go by and see Joy & Maria, you will fall in love with them and their vision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stained Market is an amazing place! Joy & Maria are passionate about what they do and are working extremely hard to transform that old, abandoned building into a "must see" kind of place. I haven't been by in quite a while but I can't wait to stop by again because there have been fabulous things taking place. You must go by and see Joy & Maria, you will fall in love with them and their vision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im glad to hear how many people have given that place a visit and experienced their awesomeness! Definitely a great addition to the Tampa bay area!

    ReplyDelete