Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Artist Gets Resourceful





Evan, my 10 year old emerging artist son, sure knows how to get resourceful. He has been using random tables throughout our house to use as a drawing table. He would have room in his bedroom....once he decides to part with his homemade lego table. So he decided to clean out the guest room and make an artists desk out of the writing desk that is currently in there. He pretty much reclaimed it as his own. The writing desk was an awesome score I purchased when I lived in Orlando. There was a high end hotel clearance warehouse that I would frequent. They would get Henredon, Drexel Heritage...all the good stuff! I would shop there often and I have tons of goodies to show for it. The desk my son has taken over is Drexel Heritage from the Bostonian. I paid $100. A writing desk with a leather top, a real steal!



 
 

Some of his fun drawings....
 
 
 
 
 
 
Work in progress...
 
 
 
 


Some of his Prismacolors. He doesn't own the whole set yet, $$$, Buying them individually from Michael's with a 40% off coupon. He will be getting the big set for his birthday in July. Exciting!
 
 
 


Always have to have lots of cool books on hand for inspiration.
 
 
 
So he put together this whole art desk area himself in our guest room. Pretty clever, and as a bonus, it keeps all of his stuff together in one area and opposed to various areas around our house. On my thrift travels, I am on the lookout for an artists lamp and a filing cabinet for him to use as storage. I will have no problems finding either. He will be having another art show the first Sunday of February in Hyde Park. Come pay him a visit and support a young artist!
 
 
Indie Business of the week!
 
 
 
 
 
On my son's desk, you may have noticed some Shinola products from Detroit. It was a holiday gift from a favorite Aunt. She sent Evan some colored pencils and a beautiful leather bound sketch book

from a place called Shinola in Detroit. I had to check them out online, and they have a really cool urban Detroit shop with kick ass American made watches, bicycles, leather goods, paper journals and more!
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
I cannot say it enough: Support local and independent businesses! You will not find this cool stuff at your big box stores! Walmart doesn't care about you, they just want to sell you cheap crap from China. In addition, it is even more important to support Detroit local. Having been born and raised in the "D" , I hate to see her hurting! This city is full of the most resilient and creative souls in the world, your business helps to keep the dream alive!
 
 
 
SHOP HERE--->SHINOLA
 
Go there and show them some love!
 
 
Anything new in your world? Any independent businesses that need some love, please share the info. You don't have to be from Detroit or Tampa area to get a shout out on this blog!

 
 

 
 
















8 comments:

  1. I love his art and the gorgeous set-up you made for him. Very good for his age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't take credit for setting it up, he did all the work!

      Delete
  2. I must join you on your thrift travels one day. Lucky kiddo to have a mom with such great taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg! Carey, that would be so much fun! Lets plan on it! I need to call you soon anyhow....get some dinner or coffee!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His room is the biggest and he is taking over the guest room!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! His room is a palace and its not big enough. Those damn legos have taken over his room...his life.....

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete