Monday, February 17, 2014

Finally, A Good Score!

I haven't had much luck lately on my thrift adventures. My shops have been crazy busy and I feel itchin' to get new and fresh stock listed. Unfortunately, my recent shopping sprees have been mediocre at best. Until last week.....
Got me some goodies! Yea, not a truck full or anything like that, but this time it was about quality. I felt pretty satisfied, much like how I feel after eating a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough batter, but without the guilt.

One special place that I frequent is in the heart of "oldsville". Not only does this place get donations from the elderly, but the elderly are also the shoppers. They are shopping for shorts, blouses and comfortable sneakers, sometime a little doo dad here and there, but nothing I would ever buy anyhow. Like a wreath with gingerbread men on it. When I go to this place, I am usually the youngest by 30 years or more. No competition there. Last year I bought a complete set of Pyrex Butterprint for just a few bucks. It was probably sitting there for a week. This time I had another victory:



Boy oh boy, did I ever fall in love with these! A set of French text books from the 50's. In the past I have had trouble selling any foreign language books, and text books. However...Just LOOK at these! Gorgeous mid century design! It is really hard for me not to keep these. I will use them as a picture prop, until they sell, which I believe won't take to long at all.
Find them------------------>HERE



Did you really expect me to pass by this pulp fiction lot full of the best cheesiest covers and titles ever? Confidential Secretary! Sorority Girl! There was no way I was coming home without them!
Get 'em while you can----------------->HERE


Then there is this. Yolanda Slaves of Space. I had to buy it because of the cover. Its about a sexologist who travels to another planet. I was just going to throw this into a lot of other vintage Sci-Fi books, (which typically are good sellers for me). For some reason I did a bit of research on this book. Apparently, its a rare a valuable find. There is only one other I found available online, and it was going for $100!
So, curiosity got the best of me and I took a looky inside. HOLY CRAP! This book is full of the most hardcore erotica you could imagine. Involving aliens and lots of other crazy shit!! So glad I didn't leave this book out for long, as my son tends to read whatever I have laying around.
Feeling kinky and indulgent? Satisfy your craving------>HERE



An oldie but a goodie here^. Gorgeous book from 1914. Hard to find books that old that are still in good condition. So this was a real delight! Insanely cool illustrations, as you can imagine from this cover.
Interested? Come and get it------>HERE









Now, this was an interesting find. Kind of a groundbreaking book, about a family that is raising their child as an X. Not a boy or a girl. And they treat it equally as a boy and girl and dress it in very gender neutral clothing as well. Kind of an experiment. I was originally drawn to the cover and page art. But upon reading it and  researching it, I realized that I came across something quite special!

Want to see why it's so special? Find out---->HERE



Okay, I'll be honest with you:
 
I don't know why the hell I bought this book. Really I am clueless about this decision. It may be in my shop for awhile (or sell immediately, you never know). The vintage pictures of these poodles being coiffed, was more than I could handle. I had to have this. Impulse purchase, couldn't control myself. I browsed these pages and had a good laugh! Poodle grooming is serious business!

Want to have a good laugh too? Do it----->HERE







This was an interesting find. Mostly because I saved its life. I overheard some thrift shop employees discussing this giant bin of really old antique books that they are going to have to toss because they are in crappy condition. One of the ladies was very upset and she felt you shouldn't throw away books, regardless of the condition. The other 2 ladies were insistent about it. They said that they were moldy and falling apart and they wouldn't feel right about selling them. The one lady kept saying to just put them out there, cheap, and people can look at them and decide. (I agree with this lady). Anyhow, I had to peek my head in the back and say "old books? I love old books! Can I take a peek?" The nice lady let me. I asked if there were any children's books and she handed this to me, right from the top of the pile. I thought, "how delightful!" And by the way, totally NOT in bad condition! Anyhow, the other two nasties told me that they were ditching the whole lot and I can't be in the back room. So I just left with this one goodie! If the others were in this kind of condition, those ladies made a terrible mistake!

Find the lone survivor--------->HERE


So it wasn't all about the books. I got some other sure sellers and a one that is questionable, but lovely just as well.

Starting with these:

 
 
 

Mid Century men's valets. I have always done well with these in the past. So whenever I come across them, I snatch them up! Two in one trip, what a treat!

Available------>HERE

And----------->HERE TOO






Lovely little mid century wire fruit bowl. (See, I'm using my French books as photo props).
I am usually successful with these sorts of items.

Need a place to store your apples? How about---->HERE






This owl needlepoint is an iffy. Will it sell or won't it? Your guess is as good as mine. Personally I love her! I sure don't mind her hanging around for a while. In the past, I have done quite well with wall hangings, and I have done quite well with needlepoint. However, I have not done well with owls. (Even though I love love owls). So  for this one, I'll just have to see what happens.

Lovin' owls too? Let her hang out with you---->HERE


Now to veer off topic. As you know, my son does art shows and sells his art at markets and other venues. On a whim, I decided to surprise him with this:




I had a custom shirt made for him to wear when he is selling his art. I took one of his illustrations, the only one with color, as he tends to stick with black ink, and I went to a place that does custom shirts. The font that they helped me find has little skulls in the "A" and the "R", (click image to enlarge). So this young fellow, who was the manager, spend a very long time, helping me pick out font and then spending an incredible amount of time getting this image to work on a black shirt (special request from me, because I know my son prefers to wear black, cost a bit extra and took a week, but well worth it). This guy, Tyler, had to go around every single hair and angle to clean it up. There was NO extra charge for his time and effort. When my son saw it, he was beyond words! I think it was the happiest he could possibly be at that moment.

So, where did I get this shirt, you ask?

Well, that brings me to the:

 
INDIE BIZ OF THE WEEK!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tyler really helped me quite a bit in creating this surprise for my son, and I am very thankful. If I chose to get a white shirt, I would have been able to take it home on the spot. And if Evan chooses to sell shirts with one of his art images on it, this is the place we would have handle the job. Of course they would be white shirts. Not sure if that's what he wants to do at this point, but he definitely is considering it. We will see the feedback he gets at the next show, when he is wearing his shirt.
 
Next show will be March 1st, in Hyde Park. Come and say "hi!"
 
 
Comments, thoughts and ideas are always appreciated! Share your recent finds! Share a local business that needs a shout out, or share some random crap that will make me laugh, its all good!
 
 
 











2 comments:

  1. I sold an owl like that for $100 online before, is that a huge one? Great finds! :D Love the owl/books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a nice large size, but not huge. I hope it sells, I am only selling it for $22, because I wasn't sure about this one. Hopefully, with that bargain price, she will fly out the door quickly:-)

    ReplyDelete